The West Bengal Judicial Service Examination is conducted every year by the Calcutta High Court. The notification is published on the High Court’s official website at : calcuttahighcourt.nic.in and / or the website of the state’s public service commission (If the exam is conducted by the PSC) at West Bengal Public Service Commission
The West Bengal Judicial Service Examination consists of three stages :
(i) Preliminary Examination (Multiple Choice Objective Type)
(ii) Main Examination (Conventional Type – Written)
(iii) Viva-voce – Interview & Personality Test
West Bengal Judicial Service Examination – Preliminary
The Preliminary Examination will consist of 200 Multiple Choice objective Questions, each carrying one mark. The time for the overall preliminary exam will be 180 minutes.
The Standard of the paper will be of the level of graduation in Law of a recognized University of West Bengal.
- English 30 marks
- General Knowledge, Current Affairs and Test of Reasoning 40 marks
- Indian Constitution 20 marks
- Law of Contracts and Torts 20 marks
- Laws of Evidence 20 marks
- Civil Procedure Code 20 marks
- Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code 20 marks
- Personal Law 10 marks
- Law of Limitation 20 marks
The syllabus for English will consist of:
Idioms and phrases
Same words bearing more than one meaning
Use of appropriate and qualifying words etc.
West Bengal Judicial Service Examination – Main
The Main examination will have eight compulsory papers and three optional papers. Each compulsory and Optional paper will carry 100 marks and will be of three hours’ duration.
Main Exam Papers : (100 marks each)
- English Composition, Essay and Precis writing
- Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali composition, essay and translation from English into Bengali/Hindi/Urdu /Nepali/Santali
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Civil Procedure Code
- Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code
- Indian Evidence Act
- Law of Contracts and Torts
- Transfer of Property Act
- Optional paper 1
- Optional paper 2
- Optional paper 3
Optional Papers can be chosen from among the below:
Jurisprudence and Principles of Legislation
Indian Law relating to Companies and Insurance
Principles of Equity including the Law of Trusts and Specific Relief
Law of Limitation and Law of Prescription
The Indian Constitution and Constitutional Law.
Viva-voce – Interview & Personality Test (100 marks)
Note: The scores from the West Bengal Judicial Service Examination – Main and the Viva-voce will be used to arrive at the final rankings. The preliminary exam scores will be used only for deciding eligibility to appear in the main examination.