This is a list of UGC NET Frequently Asked Questions for the December 2018 exam, which will be conducted by the NTA – National Testing Agency.
On behalf of UGC, the National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted for determining the eligibility of Indian nationals for the Eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Assistant Professor Both in Indian Universities and Colleges.
Till recently, the CBSE conducted the NET in 84 subjects at 91 selected Cities of spread across the country.
From Dec 2018 onwards, the UGC- NET (for Eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Assistant Professor both), will be conducted by the NTA.
The award of JRF and Eligibility for Assistant Professor both OR Eligibility for Assistant Professor only depends on the performance of the candidate in both the papers of NET in aggregate. However, the candidates qualifying exclusively for Assistant Professor are not to be considered for award of JRF. Candidates who qualify the Test for eligibility for Assistant Professor are governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of Assistant Professor of the concerned universities/colleges/state governments, as the case may be.
Section I GENERAL QUERIES
1. What is UGC-NET Dec 2018?
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has entrusted the responsibility of conducting UGC-NET to the NTA. UGC-NET is a test being conducted to determine the eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Assistant Professor & Junior Research fellowship both in college and university.
2. What is the responsibility of NTA for, UGC-NET Dec 2018?
NTA has been established as a premier, specialist, autonomous and self-sustained testing organization to conduct entrance examination (UGC NET Dec 2018) for fellowship in college & University. UGC NET is a test being conducted to determine the eligibility for ‘Assistant Professor only’ OR ‘Assistant Professor & Junior Research Fellowship both’.
3. When will be the Online Application form for UGC NET Dec 2018 be available on website?
The Online Application form for UGC NET Dec 2018 will be available from 01-09-2018 to 30-09-2018 on the www.ntanet.nic.in website.
4. When will UGC-NET, 2018 Examination be conducted?
The UGC-NET Exam would be held in the month of December 2018 Between 09.12.2018 (Sunday) to 23.12.2018 (Sunday).
5. Whether the examination will be offline or online?
This will be computer based test and will be conducted through online mode only.
6. Will NTA reserve its discretion to fix the center in a city which is given in the Annexure-I?
As for as possible the candidate will be given a choice from the options offered, however it may need to use discretion due to administrative reasons.
7. Can a center be allotted by the NTA manually?
8. How long will the result/award of UGC-NET Dec, 2018 be valid?
For Junior Research Fellowship: The validity period of the offer is three years w.e.f the date of issue of JRF Award letter. However, in case the candidate who has already joined M.Phil. /Ph.D., the date of commencement of Fellowship shall be from the date of declaration of NET result or date of their joining, whichever is later.
9. Is there any helpline for UGCNET Dec, 2018 examination for the aspirants?
Yes. Details are available on website- www.nta.ac.in
The Helpline No.- 8076535482, 7703859909
E-mail: email@example.com Queries- firstname.lastname@example.org
Section II ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
10. What is the number of attempts for appearing in UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
The NTA will held the UGC-NET twice a year. The first one’s being held on December 2018.
11. Whether the examination will be offline or online?
The examination will be conducted through Computer Based Test mode only.
12. What is the syllabus for UGC NET Dec, 2018?
Check out this page for the Official UGC NET Exam Paper 1 : https://lawmint.com/heci-nta-net-ugc/ugc-net-paper-1-official-syllabus-dec-2018/
13. Is there any change in the syllabus of UGC-NET, prescribed in UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
There is no change in the Syllabus of UGC-NET, 2018. For more details please go through the Information Bulletin which is available on NTA website.
14. Can NTA fix the examination center in any city other than the options exercised by the candidates?
The candidates have to select any four cities of their choice for examination of NET December,2018. The efforts will be made to allot city of examination to the candidates in order of the choice opted by them in their application form. However this is not a guarantee.
15. What are the duration/timings of UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
The detailed pattern of examination is mentioned in Information bulletin available on website www.ntanet.nic.in
16. How to fill up ‘online’ application form for UGC-NET Dec, 2018? Are there any guidelines for the students before filling the application form?
The details regarding submission of application is available in the NTA website i.e. www.ntanet.nic.in
For more details please go through the Information Bulletin
17. What action is to be taken if the candidate has opted English as a medium for examination and wants to appear in Hindi medium?
The medium should be filled while applying online however in CBT. You can also choose the medium during the examination.
18. In case Photograph is not having Name & Date, would the form be rejected?
The details regarding uploading of photograph is clearly mentioned in the Information Bulletin.
19. Is Thumb Impression mandatory while filling UGC NET Dec 2018 application?
There is no need to upload thumb impression in online application of UGC NET Dec 2018.
20. What should I do, if ‘continuous timeout’ or ‘file not found error’ occurs while filling online application form of UGC NET Dec 2018?
Use Mozilla Firefox/Internet Explorer (above 9.0) and good internet connection while filling application form. In case of continuous time out clear cookies and history of the browser and fill in off-peak hours.
21. What are the enclosures that should be attached with the confirmation page to be sent to the Board’s?
Candidates are not required to send/submit any document(s) including Confirmation Page to NTA through Post/ Fax/ By Hand.
22. I have no access to a computer and no experience with Computer Based Examination. How can I prepare for the exam?
NTA will identify schools and colleges with internet and computer facilities. The same will be designated as Test Practice Centers (TPCs) for facilitating free practice sessions on every Saturday and Sunday for UGC-NET Dec, 2018 aspirants. An NTA App is also available.
23. What do the candidates need to bring to the exam center?
The candidate is required to bring following at the examination centre (Also read the Information Bulletin carefully):-
– Admit Card along with passport size photograph affixed on it.
– One passport size photograph to be affixed on attendance sheet.
– Candidates are advised not to bring any other item at the examination centres.
– There will not be any arrangement for safe keeping of any material at the centre.
– Neither NTA nor centre will be responsible for any loss, delay etc.
24. Will any candidate be able to leave early if he finishes the test before the allocated test time?
No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall/room before the test concludes.
25. If one does not get Admit Card, whom should he contact?
Admit cards will not be sent to candidates. These will be uploaded on website. Candidates need to download the UGC-NET DECEMBER-2018 Admit Card from the website only.
26. How will one know the result of the UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
The result of UGC-NET Dec, 2018 will be uploaded on the website www.nta.ac.in / www.ntanet.nic.in , as per schedule.
27. Can a candidate change the examination center after allotment of roll number?
Examination Centre cannot be changed in any case.
28. If mistakenly during filling up of the form, wrong particulars are filled in the online form, how it will be corrected.
An opportunity after a week of last date will be given to the candidates for such corrections, if any. No correction will be allowed thereafter. All the information (especially in category) which is filled on the date of submission of form will be considered valid and no change is allowed later.
29. Can anyone cancel the application submitted for UGCNET Dec, 2018?
Online Application forms once submitted successfully cannot be cancelled/ withdrawn.
Section III ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
1. What is the minimum eligibility criteria/qualification for appearing in UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
Candidates who are pursuing their master’s degree or equivalent courses or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying master’s degree (Final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examination have been delayed can appear in the UGC NET Dec 2018 Examination. For more details please go through the Information Bulletin.
2. What is the minimum qualification for appearing in UGC-NET Dec, 2018 for candidates of unreserved category?
Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/ institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. (list of subjects at postgraduation level attached as Annexure-IV) are eligible for this Test.
3. What is the minimum qualification for appearing in UGC-NET Dec, 2018 for candidates of reserved category/ physically handicapped category/ PWD candidates?
The Other Backward Classes(OBC) belonging to noncreamy layer/Scheduled Caste(SC)/Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PwD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for UGC-NET DECEMBER-2018 Test.
4. What is the age limit/relaxation criteria for the candidates appearing in UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
(i) Junior Research Fellowship: Not more than 30 years as on 01.12.2018. A relaxation up to 5 years is provided to the candidates belonging to OBC (Noncreamy layer, as per the Central list of OBC available on website: www.ncbc.nic.in) SC/ST/PD/Transgender categories and to women applicants. Relaxation will also be provided to the candidates having research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority.
Three years relaxation in age will be permissible to the candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree. A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided to the candidates who have served in the armed forces subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to the first day of the month in which the concerned UGC-NET is to be held. Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
(ii) Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
5. Is there any exemption available for the eligibility for assistant professor?
(i) NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
(ii) The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
(iii) For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onward, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
6. What is the reservation criteria for seats falling under the jurisdiction of States?
It is as per State Reservation Policy.
Section IV FEE/PAYMENT QUERIES
7. Whether the application fee exclude the Common Service charge?
The application fee would remain same except the service charges/GST as applicable.
8. How to remit fee for UGC-NET Dec, 2018?
The examination fee for UGC-NET Dec, 2018 can be remitted in the following manner: Through any Debit/Credit Card using on-line gateway payment facility or Net Banking/UPI/e-challan mode.
9. If any candidate faces any problem in remittance of fee due to failed transaction, what can he/she do?
If the payment status of online transaction (by credit/debit card) is not communicated by payment gateway in real time then fee payment is not completed and the candidate will not be able to download the Acknowledgement page. In this case, the candidate is required to pay fee again through online mode and download the acknowledgement page. The amount due to failed transaction of credit/debit card will be refunded back within 7 to 10 days to the details account.
10. If a candidate for any reason has not appeared in the examination, is there any provision for fee refund?
No. Once the provided online application form is submitted successfully by the candidate, it cannot be withdrawn. Claims for refund of application fee will not be entertained under any circumstances.
Section V CLARIFICATION REGARDING AADHAAR
1. Is Aadhaar mandatory for UGC NET Dec 2018 ?
(a) Provision of Aadhaar:
(i) The provisions of the Aadhaar Act and Regulations under the Act have come into effect from 14th September 2016 and notifications to this effect have been published in the Official Gazette. Section 57 of the Aadhaar Act 2016 permits the use of Aadhaar number for establishing the identity of an individual for any purpose pursuant to any law or any contract to this effect.
(ii) The use of Aadhaar for the candidates of UGC-NET December, 2018 will enhance the accuracy of the candidates’ details. This will also help in ascertaining identities of the candidates at the Examination Centres. Aadhaar obviates the need for producing multiple documents to prove one’s identity.
(iii) Accordingly, NTA has decided to use Aadhaar for the candidates of UGC NET December, 2018, and hereby notifies the following:
Candidates, who are in possession of Aadhaar, may enter Aadhaar number, name, date of birth, gender in online application for UGC NET December, 2018 for the purpose of establishing identity and authentication thereof.
Candidates not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, are may make application for Aadhaar enrolment as per section 3 of Aadhaar Act. Such applicant may visit any Aadhaar enrolment centre (list available at www.uidai.gov.in) to get enrolled for Aadhaar.
The candidates who have enrolled for Aadhaar and have not received Aadhaar may enter 14 digits Aadhaar Enrolment ID (Including slash) printed on the Aadhaar enrolment slip at the time of filling online application form for UGC NET December, 2018.
Note: The candidates can also enter the passport number, ration card number, bank account number or any other valid Government identity number provided they select the city of examination in these states only.