In this article, we will look at the latest 2021 - 2022 academic year, Mumbai University 3 Year and 5 year LL.B Syllabus, notes, study material and LL.M syllabus for the university and it's affiliated or constituent law colleges.
We will also talk about online Lectures, Revision notes and exam guides as per the compulsory BCI LLB subjects.
The university main campus is located in Mumbai, in the state of Maharashtra in India.
LawMint will be releasing Online Courses, Study Material and Notes for 3 year LLB (1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year) and 5 year LLB (3rd, 4th and 5th year) Law Subjects, as per your university's 2021 - 2022 LLB syllabus.
Register your interest using the form below.
Mumbai University LL.B and / or LL.M Approvals and Recognition - by BCI and UGCMumbai University is mentioned in the BCI - Bar Council of India's list of approved and recognized universities. All LL.B programs offered in India are overseen by the Bar Council of India.
The BCI approval status may change every few years. Prospective students are advised to check with the university authorities to reconfirm the 2021 and 2022 approval status of the LL.B or LL.M programs.
BCI conducts periodical inspections and grants or extends approvals for the LL.B and LL.M programs.Mumbai University is also duly mentioned in the latest list of recognized universities published by the University Grants Commission - UGC on their official website.
Admission to Mumbai University's LL.B and LL.M in 2021 and 2022Across India, LL.B and LL.M program admissions are conducted through of the following modes :
- The national level Common Law Admission test (CLAT UG for LL.B and CLAT PG for LL.M)
- State level common entrance tests
- Entrance exams conducted by the institutions themselves
- Other popular standardized tests like the LSAT
As per BCI's new legal education rules, LL.M admissions will be conducted through the PGCETL Exam, conducted under the aegis of the Bar Council Trust.
Some institutions may have direct admissions based on marks in the qualifying exam.Prospective students should visit the Mumbai University official website (Link given below in this article) to understand the admissions process.
The university will also follow the reservations and domicile quota policies as mandated by the national and state Governments.
About Mumbai University - General Overview
The University of Mumbai (known earlier as University of Bombay) is one of the oldest and premier Universities in India. It was established in 1857 consequent upon “Wood’s Education Dispatch”, and it is one amongst the first three Universities in India. As a sequel to the change in the name of the city from Bombay to Mumbai, the name of the University has been changed from “University of Bombay” to “University of Mumbai”, vide notification issued by the Government of Maharashtra and published in the Government Gazette dated 4th September, 1996.
The University was accorded 5 star status in 2001 and ‘A’ grade status in April 2012 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
BCI Standard 2021 LL.B and LL.M Syllabus
Legal education in India is under the purview of the Bar Council of India. Till recently, BCI was prescribing the syllabus for LL.B courses and universities were free to design their own syllabus for LL.M programs.
From 2021 onward, BCI will prescribe the course curriculum and other aspects of LL.M programs across India.
While universities may shuffle the Law Subjects and introduce additional subjects or topics for value addition, all universities have to include the mandatory LLB subjects as listed by the BCI.
BCI Compulsory LL.B Syllabus - Law Subjects Common for 3 Year LLB and 5 year LLBAs mandated by the Bar Council of India's new legal education rules, there will be twenty (20) theoretical subjects, four (4) clinical courses and (6) optional papers from various groups of law subjects. E.g. IPR, International Law, Constitutional Law etc.
In addition, for the 5 year integrated dual degree LLB (BA LL.B, B.Com LL.B, BBA LL.B etc.), there will be a minimum of 14 papers with minimum of 3 subjects, plus 2 compulsory English Language papers.
Refer to our detailed article on the complete BCI LL.B syllabus for 3 year LLB and 5 year LL.B across India.The compulsory LLB Law subjects are as listed below :
Compulsory Theory Subjects
- Jurisprudence (Legal method, Indian legal system, and basic theory of law)
- Law of Contract
- Special Contract/ Commercial Agreements
- Law of Tort including MV Accident and Consumer Protection Laws
- Family Law (2 papers)
- Law of Crimes Paper I : Penal Code
- Law of Crime Paper II : Criminal Procedure Code
- Constitutional Law (two papers)
- Transfer of Property Law
- Law of Evidence
- Civil Procedure Code and Limitation Act
- Administrative Law
- Company Law
- Public International
- Principles of Taxation Law
- Environmental Law
- Labour and Industrial Law (2 papers)
Compulsory Clinical Courses
- Drafting, Pleading and Conveyance
- Professional Ethics (30 marks) & Professional Accounting system (20 marks)
- Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Moot court exercise and Internship
Optional Subject Groups
- Constitutional Law Group
- Business and Commercial Law Group
- International Trade Law group
- Crime and Criminology group
- International Law
- Law and Agriculture
- Intellectual Property Law
Depending on the availability availability of the faculty for the optional Subjects, universities may offer only a limited set of subjects from among the optionals; as long as the minimum number is fulfilled.Download the 2021 - 2022 Mumbai University 3 year LLB or 5 year LLB syllabus from their official website. (Link is provided below in this article.)
BCI Compulsory LL.M SyllabusAs per the Gazette notification published by the Bar Council of India in 2021, PGP Courses (LL.M. Programs) offered by any university across India shall comprise a minimum of four compulsory taught papers, eight papers from Common Basket or from area of specialization as may be offered by the University and a dissertation under the guidance of a Professor/Associate Professor.
Read our article explaining how the LL.M program structure and syllabus is designed across Indian universities.You can download the 2021 - 2022 LL.M syllabus from the university website (Links below).
Mumbai University LL.B and LL.M Syllabus 2021 - 2022 downloadIn the recent years, the syllabi for LLB and LLM courses across India have undergone frequent changes. These changes are due to the National Education Policy introduced by the central Government in 2020; and the recent updates to the Legal Education Policy by the Bar Council of India.
Students should download the latest version of the 2021 - 2022 LL.B and LL.M syllabus from the university website at : https://mu.ac.in/.
Important Note : There may be several old versions of the syllabus available on various websites. Students are advised to download the latest syllabus for the academic year 2021 - 2022 from the university website link below.Link to download the syllabus, course outline or details : Mumbai University
The syllabus document may be available through the syllabus download page, course overview, prospectus or the web-page for the Department, Faculty or School of Law of the university.
Affiliated Colleges, Department, Faculty or School of Law associated with the UniversityIn India, there are two basic types of universities - 'Unitary' - which have one main campus with a department, school or faculty of law; and 'Affiliating' - which have colleges in their jurisdiction affiliated to them; apart from their main campus.
- Govt. Law College, Church Gate, Mumbai
- New Law College, Matunga, Mumbai
- Siddharth College of Law, Fort, Mumbai
- K. C. Law College, Church gate, Mumbai
- Gopaldas Jhamatmal Advani Law College, Bandra, Mumbai
- Dr. Ambedkar College of Law, Wadale, Mumbai
- Jitendra Chauhan College of Law, Vile Parle, Mumbai
- V. P. M’s Thane Municipal Council’s Law College, Thane
- S. S. S’s Nalanda Law College,Mumbai
- Padmashree Dr. D. Y. Patil College of Law, Navi Mumbai
- Rizvi Law College, Mumbai
- Mahatma Gandhi Mission’s College of Law, Navi Mumbai
- Mahatma Gandhi Education Society Pillai’s Law College, Navi Mumbai
- Advocate Datta Patil College of Law, Alibag
- Pravin Gandhi College of Law, Vile Parle, Mumbai
- Lala Lajpat Rai College of Law, Mumbai
- Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate Board’s Nari Gursahani Law College, Ulhasnagar
- R. E. Society’s Shriman Bhagojisheth Keer Law College, Ratnagiri
- A. S. K’s Rajarshi Shahu College of Law, Vikhroli, Sion, Mumbai
- The Lords Universal College of Law, Malad, Goregaon West, Mumbai
- Manjra Charitable Trust’s College of Law, Navi Mumbai
- Kadawal Panchkroshi Shikshan Prasarak Mandal’s Chhatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj College of Law, Sindhudurgnagari
- Victor Dentas Charitable and Education Foundation, Katta, Sidhudurga (Dist. )
- Om Vidyalankar Shikshan Sanstha’s Asmita College of Law, Vikhroli
- Vivekanand Education Society’s College of Law, Chembur, Mumbai
- Bhagubai Changu Thakur College of Law, New Panvel (W) Distt Raigad
- Children Welfare Centre’s Law College Malad (WEST) Mumbai
- Sandesh Law College, Tagoorenagar Vikhroli, Mumbai
- Devjibhai Hariya Law College, Kalyan
- Adv. Balasaheb Apte College of Law, Dadar, Mumbai (old name People’s Education Society’s)
- M. S. Law College, Thane
- Kandivili Education Society’s (KES) Law College, Mumbai
- St. Wilfred’s College of Law, Mumbai
- Shri Pancham Khemraj Law College Sindhudurg, Maharashtra
- V. G. Patil College of Law, Thane
- Ibsar School of Law, Raigad, Mahrashtra
- Malad Kandivili Education Society’s College of Law, Malad, Mumbai
- Oriental College of Law, Sanpada, Navi Mumbai
- School of Law, University of Mumbai,. Thane Sub Campus, Thane
- Habib Educational & Welfare Societys, M. S. College of Law, Deoghar, Palghar
- Habib Educational & Welfare Society’s M. S. College of Law, Deoghar, Palghar, Maharashtra
- Balasaheb Thackarrey Law College, Panvel, Raigad, Maharashtra
- Anand Vishwa Gurukul College of Law, Thane (W), Maharashtra
- Siddayog Law College, Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
- KLE Society’s KLE College of Law, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra Int
- Shivajirao S Jondhle Institute of Law & Research, Shahapur, Thane, Maharashtra
- Anjuman I Islam’s Barrister A. R. Antulay College of Law, Mumbai
- Thakur Ramnarayan College of Law, Dahisar (East), Mumbai
- Hindi Vidya Prachar Samiti’s College of Law, Ghatkopar West, Mumbai
- St. Rock’s Degree College of Law, Borivali (W), Mumbai
- Chembur Karnataka College of Law, Chembur, Mumbai
- Smt. Devkiba Mohansinhji Chauhan College of Law, Siluassa
Address and location of the universityUniversity of Mumbai, M.G. Road, Fort, Mumbai – 400032. (State University).
The email ID and the current phone numbers will be available on the university websites. (Links are provided above in this article.)
Mumbai University LLB Notes, Study Material, Online Lectures and Exam Revision GuideLawMint will be shortly releasing LLB Study Material, LLB Notes and LLB Exam Revision guides as per the Mumbai University LLB syllabus for 2021 and 2022.
You can register your interest using the form below. We will contact you by email as soon as we launch the online study pack for your university syllabus.
If you have any questions about the Mumbai University LL.B syllabus, LLB notes, LL.M course syllabus, notes, admissions process or any general comments or feedback, you can make use of the comments field below; or email us through the 'Contact us' page. (Link is in the footer of this page.)