If you are providing internship opportunities for Law Students or fresh Law Graduates, publish your advertisement on LawMint.com for free and reach 1000's of Law students across India.
Just send us the details via email at email@example.com
What is Shipping and Maritime law practice?
Maritime law or shipping law is an overarching branch of the law which covers carriage of goods by sea; marine insurance; laws of ownership and registration of ships; ship sale and building contracts, ship financing, ship mortgages; manning of ships; the law of collisions, limitation of liability, salvage, towage and pilotage; maritime liens, claims and priority of the same; the law of marine pollution, as well as the Customs and Port laws.
Shipping in India is centrally regulated by the government of India. The government regulates shipping through the Ministry of Shipping and the Directorate General of Shipping.
The Indian Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 deals with all matters pertaining to shipping policy and legislation, implementation of various international conventions and other mandatory regulations of the International Maritime Organization – of which India is a member country.
Shipping and Maritime Law involves dealing with clients and stakeholders such as organizations in the international shipping industry, forwarding companies, ship owners, charterers, ship builders and repairers, storage, manufacturing companies, Port and Customs authorities, Port Operators, Ministry of Shipping, and Director General of Shipping.
How to land your dream internship !
If you are interested in learning how to crack the internship application and selection processes at Top Law Firms; enrol into the comprehensive 'How to land your dream internship' online course offered by LawMint.
The course will guide you step-by-step on :
- overview of various legal practice areas,
- choosing the right law firms to apply,
- crafting your resume and cover letter,
- fine-tuning your extra-curricular activities,
- creating video profiles and Linkedln pages that create an impact,
- crafting writing samples & articles, which are required during the application process by many firms,
- how to make an great impression during the internship,
- legal research basics - how to summarize cases for your mentors
- how to maximize your chances of converting an internship into a full-time position
... and much much more.
Register Your Name and email ID inaugural discounts when the course is launched shortly.
The normal activities in this area pertain to Bills of Lading and charter parties, collision, salvage and oil pollution, maritime fraud; international sale of goods and related disputes, property and ship insurance and re-insurance, loan agreement and bank guarantees and handling cases concerning letters of credit.
In addition, Shipping and Maritime law firms support their clients in the following:
- legal proceedings for arrest and release of marine vessels,
- attachment of bunkers,
- exercise of maritime lien,
- enforcement of maritime claims,
- interpretation of maritime conventions,
- disputes pertaining to Charter Parties, conditions of delivery of cargo,
- damages, demurrage, with holding and detention of marine containers,
- Bill of Lading disputes,
- Import and Export procedure,
- interpreting Charter Party provisions,
- local agent’s obligation towards inbound vessels.
Best Law Firms for Shipping and Maritime Law Practice Internship in 2021 for LLB Students
This list of best law firms is sorted in alphabetical order.
- Agarwal Law Associates – New Delhi
- ALMT Legal – Bengaluru, Mumbai
- Bharucha & Partners – Mumbai, Bengaluru, New Delhi
- Bose & Mitra & Co – Mumbai
- Brus Chambers, Advocates & Solicitors – Mumbai, New Delhi
- Clasis Law – New Delhi, Mumbai
- Crawford Bayley & Co – Mumbai, New Delhi, Pune, Bengaluru
- DMD Advocates – Mumbai, New Delhi
- Fox Mandal & Associates – Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Ahmedabad
- Gagrats – Mumbai, New Delhi
- India Law Offices – New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Goa, Ahmedabad, Pune, Noida, Gurugram
- K Singhania & Co – Mumbai, New Delhi
- Kanga & Company – Mumbai
- Kochhar & Co – Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Gurugram, Hyderabad
- Legasis Partners – Mumbai, Pune, New Delhi, Hyderabad
- Mulla & Mulla & Craigie Blunt & Caroe – Mumbai, Bengaluru, New Delhi
- Tuli & Co – New Delhi, Mumbai
- ZBA – Mumbai