The Sikkim Judicial Service Examination is conducted every year by the Sikkim High Court – Gangtok for filling vacant posts of Civil Judge cum Judicial Magistrate. The notification is published on the High Court’s official website at : www.highcourtofsikkim.nic.in and / or the website of the state’s public service commission (If the exam is conducted by the PSC) at Sikkim Public Service Commission
Recruitment to the post of Civil Judge-cum-Judicial Magistrate (Grade-III) is done in two stages. (Preliminary screening exam may be held in case of a higher number of applicants.)
The competitive examination shall consist of:-
(i) Written examination
(ii) Viva-voce (Personal interview)
Sikkim Judicial Service Examination – Main exam
Paper-I: Procedural Law, Local Laws
Code of Civil Procedure, Code of Criminal Procedure, Indian Evidence Act and Limitation Act.
(A) Property Laws.
(1) Notice dated 2nd January 1897 relating to transfer of land by Bhutias and Lepchas.
(2) Revenue Order No. 1 dated 17th May, 1917
(a) Notice No. 660/G dated 21st May, 1931
(b) Notice No. 669/G dated 21st May 1931
(3) Sikkim Darbar Gazette Vol. XVIII No. 11 dated 21st April, 1969 Right of a woman to purchase or sell land after her marriage vis-à- vis Revenue Order No. 1 of 1917.
(4) O. O. No. 105/L.R. dated 25th February, 1961.
(B) Registration Laws.
(1) Notification No. 385/G dated 11th April, 1928 (Regarding Registration of Documents)
(2) Notification No. 2947/G dated 22nd November, 1946 (Regarding Registration of Documents)
(3) Sikkim State Rules Registration of Documents 1930.
(C) House Rent & Eviction Laws.
(1) Notification No. 6326-600/H&W-B dated 14.04.1949 Regulation of Letting and Sub-letting of Premises etc. (Health & Works Deptt.).
(2) Gangtok Rent Control & Eviction Act 1 of 1956 dated 31st May, 1956.
(3) The Sikkim Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants and Rent Recovery) Act, 1980.
(D) Land Laws.
(1) The Sikkim Cultivators Protection Act, 1985.
(2) The Sikkim Land (Requisition & Acquisition) Act, 1977 (1 of 1978).
(3) Notification No. 1209/L&F dated 25th May, 1950 (Regarding formulation of Substantive Law for Land in Sikkim).
(4) The Sikkim Regulation of Transfer of Land Act, 2005.
(E) Court Fee & Stamp Laws.
(1) Sikkim Court Fees & stamp on Documents Rules dated 30.03.1928 (Amended schedule).
(2) Sikkim Court Fees (Exemption and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1983.
(F) Adoption Laws.
(1) Notification No. 2341-4/G dated 17th June, 1930 (Regarding Adoption of Heir).
(G) Civil Courts Act.
(1) Sikkim Civil Courts Act, 1978.
(H) Municipal Laws.
(1) Sikkim Shops and Commercial Establishment Act, 1983.
(2) Sikkim Allotment of House Sites and Construction of Buildings (Regulation and Control) Act, 1985.
(I) Interpretation and General Clauses Act.
(1) Sikkim Interpretation and General Clauses Act, 1978.
(J) Other Local Laws
(1) The Sikkim Anti Drugs Act, 2006.
(2) The Sikkim State Legislator’s Appointment to Different Authorities Act, 2006.
(3) The Sikkim State Public Services Act, 2006.
(K) Notification on Issuance of Certificate of Identification.
(1) Notification No. 66/Home/95 dated 2nd November, 1995.
(L) Rural Indebtedness Act.
(1) Sikkim Rural Indebtedness Act, 1966 dated 23.9.1966, Notification No. 845/II dated 20.08.1968 issued under the Sikkim Rural Indebtedness Act, 1966.
(M) Language Test.
Nepali or any Languages of the State.
Substantive Law – Hindu Law, Indian Contract Act, Sale of Goods Act, Partnership Act, Specific Relief Act, General Clauses Act, Transfer of Property Act, Indian Penal Code and Constitutional Law of India.
Note: Each paper shall be of three hours duration and shall carry 200 marks each.
It will carry 100 marks. No candidates appearing for the Sikkim Superior Judicial Service Examination shall be qualified to appear for viva-voce unless a candidate secure minimum 40% marks in aggregate and each paper respectively.